About us: In 1877 the Shropshire Archaeological Society was established and from that time we have been the foremost continuous promoter of research into the archaeology and history of the county. We advocate and campaign for the recording and protection of Shropshire’s rich and varied archaeological heritage. The Society’s regularly published “Transactions” have become the journal of record for the county’s history and archaeology. We changed our name to the “Shropshire Archaeological and Historical Society” in 1987 to more accurately reflect the traditions and interests of the Society and our members.
Publications: Our Transactions have been regularly appearing since 1877 and contain important and scholarly papers on the history and archaeology of Shropshire, its places, people, and events. We issue free to members a twice-yearly Newsletter containing shorter articles and news items. Past Newsletters can be accessed from our Publications page. We also publish occasional special publications, monographs, and booklets. In 1923 the Shropshire Parish Register Society amalgamated with us and we have continued to publish transcripts of the county’s parish registers. For more details, please visit our Publications page.
Events: The Society organizes a varied programme of events throughout the year. These include guided walks and visits to historic sites in the summer months, a programme of talks through the autumn and winter, and occasional day-schools. Our AGM is usually held in September, and is followed by our Annual Lecture. We also hold an informal winter social event in December. For more details, please visit our Events page or see individual posts.
Grants: We are able to make small grants for the advancement of education in archaeological and historical investigation in Shropshire, the preservation of antiquities in Shropshire, or the publication and accessibility of local history resources in Shropshire which would be of use to family history. For more details please go to our Grant Funds page.
Membership: The Society currently has a membership of about 275 individuals from all walks of life. We have a Council of about 20 members made up of officers and elected members who help run the society and its various activities. The Council regularly meets three times a year. Our President is Sir Neil Cossons, OBE. To see who is on the Society’s Council please follow this link: Council and officers 2019. Join us in helping to preserve our past for the future – please see our Membership page for how to join.
To contact the Society please click here: Contact us
Archaeological sites and monuments If you are looking for information about Shropshire’s archaeological sites and monuments please contact Shropshire Council’s Historic Environment Record https://shropshire.gov.uk/environment/historic-environment/historic-environment-record/
Historical records For information about historical documents and family history contact Shropshire Archives https://www.shropshirearchives.org.uk/
The Shropshire Archaeological and Historical Society is a Registered Charity No. 511564